A professional trustee is an excellent option if you do not feel that there is anyone within your family or friends that you would be comfortable leaving the management of your affairs to should the time come whereby you are unable to do so for yourself. This can also be beneficial if you believe that identifying just one such individual would cause undue stress or conflict within family or friendship groups and you would prefer to delegate that responsibility to an independent third party.
Acting in accordance to your wishes whilst working alongside your family, a professional trustee can:
- ensure your affairs are handled in accordance with your wishes;
- ensure your best interests are protected at all times;
- ensure money is invested wisely;
- ensure the needs of you and your family continue to be met;
- prevent money being wasted or misappropriated;
- help make it easier to reach difficult decisions or to achieve consensus on controversial issues; and
- ensure all legal requirements are complied with so your family does not have to worry about this.
Stephens & Son solicitors in Chatham offer a professional trustee service through our Private Client team which enables you to appoint one of our solicitors, either alone or in conjunction with someone else, to act as:
- a trustee under the terms of a trust, established to ensure, for example, the careful management of a personal injury compensation payment or the preservation of money held in a family trust fund;
- an attorney under the terms of a lasting power of attorney, created to ensure someone of your choosing has authority to make decisions on your behalf if you become unable to make them yourself;
- a deputy under the terms of a deputyship order made by the Court of Protection where no lasting power of attorney exists; and
- an executor under the terms of your will, to ensure your affairs are in order and your estate is distributed according to your wishes.
Advising families throughout Chatham, Kent and beyond
We have offices in Chatham, Maidstone, Tonbridge, Gravesend and Tenterden where we can meet you to discuss your requirements.
We can also offer meetings at your home, in hospital or in a care facility or via skype where appropriate.
We can agree funding arrangements to suit your budget. For some cases involving the Court of Protection legal aid may be available.
Get in touch with our professional trustee solicitors in Chatham, Kent
Call us on 01634 811444 for any business related advice you need. Alternatively complete our contact us form and we will be in touch as soon as possible.