Entering into the divorce process is a daunting and emotional time and it can be difficult to think clearly and logically about each step required. Whilst some divorces are amicable partings of ways there are others which are fuelled with negativity and blame – each situation is different and unique. The underlying common necessity in any divorce situation however is the help of strong legal representation.
Before any progress can be made in your case, your eligibility to file for divorce must be verified. You must be able to prove that you have been married for a minimum of one year and that the marriage is irrevocably broken down due to one of the following five reasons: adultery, unreasonable behaviour, desertion, living apart for more than two years or living apart for more than 5 years with no desire to reconcile.
Our family law team are experts in all aspects of the divorce procedure and will work with you to understand your situation taking into account your needs and requirements when it comes to property, assets, childcare arrangements and more.
Adopting a non-confrontational yet assertive approach, we will:
- check that you are eligible to apply for a divorce and advise you on how to obtain a legal separation should the eligibility criteria not be met;
- complete all necessary paperwork;
- work to reach a suitable arrangement between you both where there are children to be considered, for example custody and financial provisions.
- help you to apply for a parental responsibility order where you have no legal rights in respect of a child you have cared for;
- help you to sort out financial matters and to resolve property disputes;
- advise you on making a will or updating an existing will in which your spouse may be mentioned;
- liaise with pension providers when there are issues around entitlement to split pension benefits;
- represent your interest should any aspect of your divorce result in a hearing before the courts.
We can also offer signposting to support systems should either party be involved in domestic violence or abuse, however please be aware that in these situation, mediation will not be deemed appropriate.
Advising families throughout Chatham, Kent and beyond
We have offices in Chatham, Gravesend, Tonbridge, Maidstone and Tenterden where we can meet you to discuss your requirements.
We can also offer meetings by Skype for clients who have to travel extensively or who now live abroad. In exceptional circumstances, home visits can also be arranged.
Fixed fees and costs
An initial 30 minute appointment to discuss your requirements can be arranged at £114 inc VAT and an initial 1 hour appointment can be arranged at £180 inc VAT.
After that we can arrange flexible payment terms, including monthly billing to help you budget.
Get in touch with our divorce solicitors in Chatham, Kent
Call us on 01634 811444 if you need our help. Alternatively complete our Contact Us form and we will be in touch as soon as possible.