More and more couples these days are perfectly content not to enter into a legally binding arrangement such as marriage or civil partnership. There are no judgements around this as each relationship is unique, however it is important to be aware that unmarried couples do not have the same automatic legal rights should the relationship come to an end as those that are married do.
Therefore it can be beneficial to have legally documented what your wishes would be in the event of a parting of ways. Things to consider could be guardianship and custodial arrangements for any minors, financial distribution of any wealth or assets, and property allocation to name a few. Please bear in mind that without something like this, unmarried couples have absolutely no legal obligation to uphold any financial responsibility to each other should they separate.
At Stephens & Son solicitors in Chatham, our experienced family lawyers specialise in providing advice to unmarried couples on a range of matters, including:
- living together agreements, which detail everything from who owns what to responsibility for bills and debts;
- arrangements for children, particularly where one partner wants to be involved in a child’s life through adoption or the grant of parental responsibility;
- organisation of property ownership and bank accounts, to ensure everything is either in joint or individual names, depending on what has been agreed;
- the resolution of a property dispute where there is disagreement about ownership issues or tenancy rights;
- pension sharing where there is uncertainty about your partner’s entitlement;
- inheritance rights and making a will to ensure your wishes are carried out;
- compromise agreements to formally severe ties if your relationship breaks down;
- financial arrangements; and
- disputes about children.
Advising families throughout Kent and beyond
We have offices in Chatham, Gravesend, Maidstone, Tonbridge and Tenterden where we can meet you to discuss your requirements.
We can also offer meetings by skype for clients who have to travel extensively or who now live abroad. In exceptional circumstances, home visits can also be arranged.
Fixed fees and costs
An initial 30 minute appointment to discuss your requirements can be arranged at £114 inc VAT and an initial 1 hour appointment can be arranged at £180 inc VAT.
After that we can arrange flexible payment terms, including monthly billing to help you budget.
Get in touch
Call us on 01634 811444 for any business related advice you need. Alternatively complete our contact us form and we will be in touch as soon as possible.